Journal is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
Work-related issues a common in any profession. These types of issues are prevalent in every industry and affect people in the organization irrespective of their work portfolio, or the position that they hold. Dealing with these issues is critical as they can severely damage workplace environment and dent social fabric. So, for employees, in order to resolve problems that affect them and the surrounding environment, it is essential to quantify them, and then determine whether they can be tackled at a personal level or do they need interference from the management.
So, in any case, the most critical factor here is to take pro-active stance in order to overcome the issues. Not being decisive and turning a blind eye towards the problem can be catastrophic. Hence, the first step here is to identify the problems, their origin and subsequently take corrective measures to overcome them.
First let's begin with classifying problems related to work that are caused by the people working around you, and try to list down the probable solutions for the given problems:
1. Lack of motivation: Working in an organization involves working in groups or with a team. Well, the basic idea behind building teams is to divide the work so that the given targets or goals are achieved effectively and in a given time frame. But working in a team also involves challenges. One of the biggest challenges is lack of motivation amongst the team members. Lack of motivation can be detrimental as it can affect the overall performance because being around people who lack motivation will not motivate you to perform well. Hence, it can make things difficult if your manager doubts your capability to perform well. So, tackling this problem becomes critical and the most effective way of dealing with it is to take the initiative to motivate your team members and have open discussions to come up with solutions to resolve the existing problems. So following this approach can certainly make a difference as sometimes it is only a tinge of motivation that is required to set your sail in the right direction.
2. Lack of co-operation: Just as the adage “too many cooks spoil the broth,” having too many experts on the team can be counter-productive as each of them will have their own opinion, and it can consequently result into conflicts if they feel that their opinion is being overlooked, or they are being sidelined in making important decisions. So, feeling of inferiority might make them less cooperative while working together, thus putting the entire team into an ordeal. It will certainly affect the task at hand and subdue your performance. Therefore, in such cases, it is initially advisable to be a mediator to the concerned parties. And in case if you fail to do so, it is better that you inform the managers about existing problems beforehand so that you and your team don't have to receive flak for not fulfilling duties.
3. Dirty office politics: You can't expect everyone at the workplace to be kind. Yow will always come across people who want you to fail in anything you do. Such people will try their level-best to put obstacles in your path and deliberately create problems that can divert your attention from your work. Dealing with such people can be difficult as it can cause you tremendous stress, and severely impact your work. So, in order to shield yourself from toxic people, it is better that you don't interact with them and reveal any information that can be used against you. Make sure you don't hang around such people and focus on your work. Furthermore, if you still find that the trouble makers are won't leave you alone and are perpetually trying to cause problems, it is better that you gather enough proof of it and present it in front of the management.
# Problems Related To Type And Nature Of Work:
- Immoral work practices: Some situation may require you to lie to the customers or break laws in order to get things done. You might be rewarded by your superiors in doing so, but it can hamper your integrity as they might take you for granted and frequently ask you to do so. Therefore, it is strongly advisable not to fall into such a trap, and refuse to do any sort of work which is unethical. Refusing to do so in the very first instance will prevent the problem from burgeoning, and save you from all the guilt that you might face otherwise.
- Incompetence: Sometimes, the job that you are assigned might require the skill and acumen which you probably don't possess; thus making it difficult for you to perform it effectively. So instead of continuing it and performing at a below par level, it is better to discuss these issues with your managers, and pitch for some other role that you are adept with.
- Safety: In some industries, employees have to handle heavy materials and work around a lot of machinery. So, in such a work environment, safety is the biggest concern. Therefore, if you are involved in activities that can harm you physically, you must strictly adhere to the safety regulations issued by the organization and use proper safety gear while working. In addition to that if you find that the safety measures taken by the management are inadequate, you can point that out to the concerned authority and suggest additional safety measures that needed to be taken.
There is a plethora of reasons responsible for causing work-related issues. There are issues due to conflict of interest with others and then there are problems due to type and nature of work as mentioned above. There is no silver bullet in resolving them, and the most pertinent way of surmounting them is a case-by-case evaluation of the problems and tackling them by implementing steps in accordance with the severity and type of problem.