Journal is powered by Vocal.
Vocal is a platform that provides storytelling tools and engaged communities for writers, musicians, filmmakers, podcasters, and other creators to get discovered and fund their creativity.
How does Vocal work?
Creators share their stories on Vocal’s communities. In return, creators earn money when they are tipped and when their stories are read.
How do I join Vocal?
Vocal welcomes creators of all shapes and sizes. Join for free and start creating.
To learn more about Vocal, visit our resources.Show less
People are now using concrete in different ways. It is one of the strongest materials used in construction. Not only does it find its application as a building material, but it is also intentionally being added in the spectrum of décor to impart a rustic, yet contemporary vibe. Designers are known to use it to create fireplace surroundings, pendant lights, coffee tables, home accents, and much more—making concrete look very modern, crisp, and bespoke. Even though it is an industrial material, it has that certain element of warmth, as it is quite naturally prepared. If you are worried about your environment, then it is a relatively green option too.
Concrete is not corrosive, as it does not react to oxidation. You can easily work with its dimension and form; it’s easy to mould with the right admixture. Owing to its durable nature, it can withstand several decades of wear. Since its combustion point is low, it is resistant to fires, unlike timber, and other types of wood. To understand its application better, you can speak to concreters in North Gold Coast. Decorative Concrete are professionals when it comes to delivering high-quality patios, driveways, and the latest concrete designs and finishes, along with concrete repairs and maintenance, keeping in mind your budget, and design requirements.
The most popular ways to use concrete
Do you know the most creative ways that concrete has been used in building? Have you seen the Panama Canal, without which ships would have to sail longer distances? The Pantheon, built around 125 AD—over 2000 years ago—which is still used today as a church! These are just two brilliant examples of the utilisation of concrete to create remarkable structures. So, if you are looking at concreting in Gold Coast, for your patio, or renovating your driveway, and are also open to experiment more with concrete, have a glance at some of the most popular ways to use concrete:
- Skyscrapers: Modern high-rises use high-performance concrete, and are examples of great design skills with respect to the use of elements. Concrete has characteristics like great compressive strength to withstand the forces of nature. It does not corrode easily either. Due to these factors, it offers more security and energy efficiency; the lifespan is triple compared to the other commonly used building materials.
- Pavements: Sidewalks are the best ways to connect people by foot to their surroundings. You use them to commute safely home and back. Most developed cities opt for concrete pavements, as it is very durable, and needs less repair work. This can cut maintenance costs. The selection grade for concrete used in pavements depend on various factors, like, the traffic load, and the structural loads nearby.
- Parking: Using concrete in parking areas reduces the total expenditure. When you own a building, you are automatically responsible for its surroundings, and that includes the safety of the parking space. It has to be built with the best materials. Concrete has an edge over asphalt as the material of choice used in parking lots. Due to its strength, it can endure the load of many automobiles. Concrete offers thrice the reflectivity of asphalt. As a whole, this translates to cost-cutting, added safety, and reduced lighting requirements.
- Porches and driveways: Concrete can be coloured, stamped, and stained, transforming your driveway and patio into beautiful works of art. It gives you the freedom of designing a variety of unique looks, that can suit every budget and taste. The initial cost is far less in comparison to using stone and wood. It maximizes your investment, and adds value to your home due to its increasing appeal. Besides, it does not require as regular maintenance as asphalt.
- Foundations: There are several types of foundations. There are three basic kinds of concrete foundations—floating slab, slab-on-grade, and T-shaped. Due to the multiple benefits of concrete, many homes and structures use it as the foundation material. You don’t have to worry about fires, rotting, erosion, pests, and durability of the building. It will remain intact and consistent for a long period of time, bearing any amount of load and brunt.
Do you have any doubts about this material for your reinforcement needs? It can be laid quickly, and is relatively cheap. It is versatile. It offers a degree of flexibility—you can use it along with steel, which has similar properties like expansion and contraction, which make them a compatible fit. Concrete has the versatility to bring together utilitarian chic, rustic minimalism, streamlined modernism, an extravaganza of colours and textures—what more can one want?!